I am participating in...2013 Feminist Reads Challenge
Will you join us?
2013 Feminist Reads Challenge
Now I realize some of you may only have a vague understanding of what a feminist and feminism is. Others may have a negative connotation of the word feminist or think that only women can be feminists. Let me attempt to break it down for you.
A feminist is defined as:
- (n): a person who supports feminism
- (adj): of, relating to, or supporting feminism
Feminism is defined as:
- A movement for granting women political, social, and economic equality with men.
"I myself have never been able to find out precisely what feminism is: I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat."Here's how I define feminism and feminists:
- Feminism is supporting and helping to create strong girls and women.Women who have the ability to take care of themselves, who believe in themselves, and who have the freedom to pursue their dreams and share their beliefs, values, and opinions.
- Feminists encourage and support strength, independence, individuality, and passion in women of all ages.
- Feminists fight for people. Yes, they obviously fight for women, but I think it can also be said that they fight for what is right. For equality for all. For every person to have a voice, an education, a fighting chance.